Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sleepless Part II

My sleepless saga is ongoing.  I have received a lot of helpful hints from all kinds of people.  One thing that most people had in common was that they would not let their  child cry either.  Other people warned me against picking up my daughter saying that was not a good idea. 

About a week ago I decided to lay on the floor next to the crib.  I could reach my hand through the rails to soothe my daughter while she was laying down.  She didn't like the idea of me sticking my hand through the rails.  She pushed my hand out of the crib.  So, I just laid there on the floor.

After a little time passed she would fall back asleep.  We do this a couple times a night.  The highlight of it all is that she is no longer screaming at night.  She doesn't even cry now.  I lay on the floor and she lays in her bed, rolls around for a little while, then falls asleep.

I know, I was told that this too is a bad idea because I will have to break her from getting used to having me there at night. I was told that I need to go in her room when she cries, rub her head and leave.  Then when she cries wait 10 minutes, go back into her room and repeat.

The more that I think about this last piece of advice, the more frustrated I become.  I am sure that if I asked my father if I was held when I was a baby, I am sure that he would say yes.  I am pretty sure that I outgrew being rocked and as an adult still fell loved.  So, I accept the advice from all of the others: let my baby know that she is loved.  If she needs me to hold her, I will.  If she needs to be rocked, I will.  And if she needs my to be near, I will.

I know there will come a day when she has grown and I will reflect on these days.  I would hate to look back and wish that I had held her more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment