Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A New Do

Today I went to the hairdresser for an overdue cut and color.  While my color was processing, I chatted with my hairdresser about the joy of motherhood for someone in her forties.  All of the sudden a customer chimed in with her contributions.  She is a grandmother that watches her grandbabies.

I was expressing how tired I was.  How for the last year I have been sleep deprived and wondered if my life was ever going to resume.  The woman in the salon started laughing and said not for a long time. 

I then began talking about how I have to get a head start to go to the bathroom because before I know it I hear the pitter patter of little knees coming down the hallway followed by her daddy chasing her.  Is nothing sacred?  The woman in the salon then said "it is kind of like trying to poop with a baby on your lap."  I started to laugh.  There were a few other anecdotes that we shared.

Part of me laughed at how funny it sounded to hear someone else say the many things that I have been thinking.  For so long I have thought, "am I the only one that experiences these things?"  or "am I a bad parent because no one else talks about these things?"

I feel like my spirit has lifted.  Not just because I have a new hairdo (and my daughter barely recognized me without a pony tail) but, because I am not alone in the experiences that I have been experiencing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment