Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spirit Airlines

I am sure that I am not the only person that is disappointed with Spirit airlines new charge for carry on bags.  I saw the segment on the Nightly News and then read the article about Spirit airlines new policy.  I think that it is ridiculous to charge up to $45 for a carry on bag.  I guess that the only saving grace is that if you can fit it under the seat, then it is free.

But, what about Bulk head seats or emergency row seats.  There is no seat in front of you to stow luggage.  I guess you really have to pay a premium if you car about the safety of the plane (emergency row) or your comfort (bulk head).

What really infuriated me was when the CEO was asked about people flying with children.  He was asked, "What about people flying with children?"  These people have car seats, strollers, extra bags (filled with diapers, wipes, toys, etc.) and coolers (formula and food).  The CEO's response was: "carry less, pay less."  How unbelievable.  I guess what he is saying is that he does not want people with children to choose his airline.  Unless, of course you would like to hand over a fortune to the airline.

Spirit used to be a inexpensive way to fly.  By the time a person is done paying all of the fees for Spirit, they may as well pay full price and fly on a real airline like United or Northwest.

I think as a society, we owe it to ourselves to boycott Spirit.  All the other airlines are watching this.  If consumers find this practice acceptable, then there is nothing stopping the other airlines from following suit.  Where will the fees end?

Enough is Enough.

1 comment:

  1. I think that all of these fees are getting out of control. There does need to be an end somewhere. Originally, the fees started to help cover the cost of gaa. Gas has gone down since then and the fees keep increasing. What gives? We should start boycotting some of these airlines.

    ReplyDelete