Friday, February 19, 2010

Rewards

Either I wasn’t listening or I wasn’t paying attention when my friends and relatives had their children. I have thought that motherhood was part of some secret society (the kind that kept everything quiet). I don’t remember ever hearing any of them complain about the many sleepless nights, breastfeeding, teething or fevers. Now that I am a new mom, I often find myself wondering how did they do it? More importantly, how did they do it with more than one? I find myself tired and challenged every day. And still I wonder why I wasn’t forewarned how difficult motherhood would be. Part of me thinks that it is revenge. Each mother before me that went through it keeps quiet and silently watches someone new struggle through it. I love being a mother and I absolutely love watching each and every new development happen. There is nothing else on this earth more gratifying than watching your child learn something new. Nothing more precious than the day they recognize you and know who you are. And there is nothing more rewarding to a parent than the hugs and kisses that you get each day. All of these endeavors make each daily struggle worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment